Printer friendly version
Preventing Poisoning In The Home
A few basic fact and hints regarding preventing poisoning with medicines and chemicals around the home
Keep all chemicals and medicines out of sight and reach of children, preferably locked away.
Keep all chemicals and medicines in their original containers, with the label intact. DO NOT store it in a food or drink container.
- Young children can be good climbers, and often surprise their parents by getting things thought to be out of reach.
Store all chemicals and medicines separately from food.
- This is an illegal and highly dangerous practice, causing a multitude of poisonings every week around the world.
Put any chemicals or medicines straight back in their place of storage after use.
- This reduces the chance of accidental poisoning in an adult, and helps teach children that medicines and chemicals are not food.
Dispose of chemicals and medicines that are no longer used.
- A significant proportion of childhood poisonings occur when chemicals or medicines have been left out after use.
Child resistant caps are not child proof.
- For advice on disposal of chemicals, contact either your National Poisons Centre or your regional council.
- To dispose of medicines, contact your local pharmacy, they will usually be able to safely dispose of medicines for you.
Choose junior strength or smaller packaging sizes.
- Keep medications out of reach of children, even if they have child resistant packaging.
Childhood poisonings often occur when a child is sick.
- This can help reduce the chance of serious poisoning if a child was to swallow some.
Do not keep the dishwasher door open when not in use.
- Pay special attention to putting medicines away after use, and never refer to medicines as lollies or sweets.
Child Resistant Packaging
- Children will often get into the dishwasher and eat the powder before or after the wash cycle. This can result in serious poisoning.
- A leaflet detailing the use of child-resistant packaging Plants That Poison - A New Zealand Guide
- A colourful, informative and easy-to-use book every NZ home should havePrevent Poisoning: Keeping Children Safe From Poisons
- A brochure on general poisoning prevention information including home safety tipsPut Your Kid's Safety First
- A brochure detailing the risk of dishwasher detergents and simple safety tips for their usePrinter friendly version